Movement Ground Farm is looking to hire a Farm Worker to join our three-person farm team. The Farm Worker will work directly with and report to the Farm Manager. This position requires someone to be comfortable both working alone, and in groups. At times, there will be collaborative and team work with volunteers and worksharers.
We are looking for someone who is motivated to:
- experience physically challenging and strenuous work
- work fast and occasionally power through a whole day (or half day) of weeding
- be a harvest machine – able to make appropriate size bunches; inspect and correct for quality control; pay attention to numbers; keep produce out of the sun and the wind while harvesting
- be a human being – handle, store and wash produce with care; sense of humor; contribute your thoughts and bring your observations to the table
- contribute to seeding, transplanting, irrigating, bed preparation
- be part of a farm and community with a social justice vision
Required Skills & Experience:
- at least one season working at a farm – or a related experience
- ability to listen, pay attention to detail, and ask for clarification
- ability to understand one’s task in relation to the larger farm operation, and to prioritize completing a task when it is determined that it will affect the workflow of the farm (even if it means staying an extra hour)
- ability to work in most forms of weather (rain, wind, heat, humidity, cold) and environmental situations (mud, gnats, flies, spiders)
- ability to lift 50 lbs repeatedly
- dependable text messaging communication skills
- ability to clean up after one’s self, to put tools back where they belong, and contribute towards the cleanliness and organization of the farm
- works well and is supportive of people who come from a diversity of backgrounds (including folks who identify as Queer, Trans, Gay, Bi, Lesbian)
- $14 / hour (32 hours a week)
- Free produce
Date & Hours:
- 7AM – 4PM w/ one-hour unpaid lunch break, occasionally working later until 5 or 6PM
- Monday-Thursday Schedule
- Ideally starting the first week of May
- Position runs through the end of october.
How to Apply: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Farm Worker” as the subject. Please answer these questions. List- and bullet- formatting is great!
- Why are you interested in this job and what should we know about you?
- Attach a resume, or submit your full contact information, and list your related work and life experiences, including job titles or positions, # of months/years worked
Deadline: Please submit your application materials by April 1st. We will only be contacting you if we are interested in interviewing due to the busy time of season and changes in plans needing to be made based on COVID-19. If there is a clear match, we will ask for two references – work references are preferred, but personal references are also accepted. Work starts as early as May 1st, and we may have occasional project work available before May 1st.